Monday, February 4, 2008

Generation "Why" ... or Y

The following is a look at this article: Generation "Why", by Patt Cottingham.

Discovering this new terminology for a new class or 'generation' of people was an interesting experience. I don't usually find new information from a branding concern. However, the characteristics of this new "generation WHY" are particularly relevant to some of my everyday concerns, namely ethics, aesthetics and cultural identity.

This new generation - although I'm unsure as to how I feel about calling it a generation - is considered to be a "socially diverse and environmentally aware" group. They "like style, amusement, a real voice and a bit of attitude." Typically under 30 years old, generation "Why"-ers concern themselves with self-fulfillment while at the same time, accept that task as part of their everyday lives; they don't feel the need to consult "the self-help bookshelves" for direction on how to live the good life. They sort it out themselves. They are IT savvy and are willing to move to flourishing markets around the globe.

I find this new distinction to be an important concern as we try and think about the coming years. Are these people going to be genuinely politically concerned or are we going to see the remnants of 'hip', 'hipster', and 'cool' play a major role in how these youthful, intelligent individuals identify with new trends in politics, technology and ethics? In other words, is it stylish enough to be environmentally aware as it is to be technologically proficient? It seems like environmental, political and ethical concerns lack the obvious utility of being skilled in matters of IT, or even personal style and aesthetics.

Anyways, this article really sparked something up there for me and I'm sure I'll have more to say as I get a little more research (from some other source than a branding site) under my belt.

The whole thing seems suspiciously similar to Dr. Florida's "Creative Class" which I found to be equally stimulating, but much better thought out and fulfilling, ie., I can see the "creative class" actually being a new distinction in society. The "generation WHY" looks a little too much like a construct of the marketing, branding and corporate concerns of the global market. If it's the real deal, then we'll most likely see more on the issue. If it's not, then I'm sure the term will still be dropped at every board meeting for the next five years until the next thing comes along. I suspect the latter is more likely.

To read up on the issue a little more, and for some really interesting statistics on the global status of this new generation, read the article here.

No comments: